This Video Course is intended to provide the SWPPP Practitioner, Inspector, Regulator, Construction Staff and/or others an opportunity to learn and experience what is necessary to install and complete a BMP installation inspection. Generally speaking, it might take months or years of work in erosion and sediment control for the BMP practitioner, the regulator, or the SWPPP designer to obtain sufficient field experiences to gain a “working knowledge of proper BMP installation”.
In the past, the qualifying experience and skills needed to be a candidate for a certification program might have been gained through the relationship between an Apprentice and the Journeyman. But, times have changed and the industry currently relies on continuing education to “fill any holes” in the candidates’ hands-on experience prerequisite. The CESCL certification program for AK, WA, and OR require a prerequisite 16–hour Course consisting of 8-hrs classroom and 8-hrs “in the field”.
This ABCs of BMP Installation Video Course is designed to fill that need for hands-on, in the field, experiential-based learning. This is especially important in current times, which require quarantines and social distancing. Our video course is not a webinar. The video experience is becoming the preferred method for adult education because retention and information assimilation are both increased, Look at the popularity of YouTube in the realm of DIY Home Improvement or Technical Repair subject matters.
The ABCs of BMP Installation is intended to show the “tricks of the trade” – by providing sufficient visual cues the Erosion Control Practitioner can tell if the BMPs are installed or implemented in the manner intended. For example, after taking this course the learner will be able to ascertain the difference between a BFM application at a rate of 4,000# /ac. versus a non-standard application rate of 2000# /ac. The learner will likewise be able to recognize and point out any deficiencies in a silt fence installation. By watching the videos and referring to the BMP Manual provided, the learner will have gained confidence in identifying deficiencies in the BMP implementation practice and their improved self-assurance to add constructive comments.
The ABCs of BMP Installation Course features the proper installation (and thereby the inspection benchmarks) of about 15 basic BMPs. These are the BMPs that really should be built and demonstrated in the field to fully understand the practice. The dirttime.tv videos provide the “next best to the real thing” experience.
The Course comes with the free download of the BMP Manual – Best of the BMPs Guidance Manual 5th Edition, which will be referenced during the Course. The ABCs of BMP Installation also includes testing to ensure the Course was completed. By completing the Course and answering 75% of questions correctly will qualify the attendee to receive a Certificate of Course Completion.
Estimated Session Length*: 5 hours
Credits: 0 CEUs / 0PDH
Course Level: Beginner to Advanced will benefit from this Course.
*Session Length is video runtime plus the estimated time needed for reviewing material from the Manual.
Upon completion of the ABCs of BMP Installation:
- The learner will have an opportunity to view over 15 BMPs being installed and thereby gain experiential-based knowledge of ‘best practices’ for proper BMP installation.
- The learner will be able to recognize, by visual inspection, the application of straw mulch at the generally prescribed rate of 2T / ac (4,000 kg/ ha) and straw mulch applied at ½ that rate, 1T / ac (2,000 kg/ ha)
- The student will be able to recognize, by visual inspection, the hydraulic application of Bonded Fiber Mulch (BFM) at the generally prescribed rate of 4,000# / ac (4000 kg/ ha) and BFM applied at less than standard rates, ½ that rate, 2,000# / ac (2000 kg/ ha).
- The student will have understanding of what application techniques might be employed to ensure the BFM treated slope can achieve the goal of 100% coverage.
- The learner will have experience referring to a BMP Manual for gaining additional information with regards to the BMP’s: a.) Purpose, b.) Construction Specification, and c.) Inspection and Maintenance procedures.
The ABCs of BMP Installation
The ABCs of BMP Installation consists of 20 Video Modules, ranging in length from approximately 5 min. to 30 min. The average module viewing time is approximately 10 min. The Modules provided and BMPs Covered are:
1 - Soil Prep
2 - Soil Stabilization / Raindrop Erosion Control
3 - Runoff Controls
- 3 – BMP Overview – Walking Through a Drainage Channel (No Certificate Version)
- 3.1 – Energy Dissipators (No Certificate Version)
- 3.2 – Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs) – Basic Theory (No Certificate Version)
- 3.3 – Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs) – Part 1 (No Certificate Version)
- 3.3 – Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs) – Part 2 (No Certificate Version)
- 3.4 – Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs) – ENKA Mats (No Certificate Version)
- 3.5 – Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRMs) – The Green Armor System (No Certificate Version)
- 3.6 – Ditch Checks – The Basics (No Certificate Version)
- 3.7 – Ditch Checks – Triangular Silt Dike (No Certificate Version)
4 - Tracking Controls
4 - Sediment Control
- 4.1 – SEDIMENT BARRIERS – Silt Fence (No Certificate Version)
- 4.2 – SEDIMENT BARRIERS – Straw, Fiber, and Coir Rolls (No Certificate Version)
- 4.3 – SEDIMENT BARRIERS – Compost Blanket, Socks, and Berms (No Certificate Version)
- 4.4 – SLOPE INTERRUPTER – Straw Rolls and Compost Soxx (No Certificate Version)
- 4.5 – SLOPE INTERRUPTER – Bio-D Logs (No Certificate Version)
- 4.6 – SLOPE INTERRUPTER – Sediment Pond (No Certificate Version)